Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama has hinted that he is open to a move away from Scotland. The Kenyan international, a target for Manchester United and Arsenal, excelled last season as Celtic marched to the title and the knockout round of the Champions League.
Wanyama is on international duty at the moment but will miss his country’s 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier with Malawi on Friday due to injury, despite being named as the new full-time captain last week. Due to his current commitment to Kenya, Wanayama refused to reveal too much about his situation with Celtic during an interview on Kenyan TV,
“I am concentrating with the national side and I have left matters with my agent and I have not contacted him. There are talks going on, but as I said I am on international duty and I will know what is going on when I go back to the club.”
“I still have a contract with Celtic and I am their player, but if anything comes up and it is good for me and the club, from there I will move on,” Wanyama told KTV.
The highly rated 21-year-old is also being tracked by Newcastle United, Stoke City and Southampton with a move to the Barclays Premier League looking increasingly likely. If reports are to be believed, Arsenal are taking the initiative and have already contacted Celtic about Wanyama. Current Gunners midfielder Aaron Ramsey and former player Perry Groves have urged Arsene Wenger to buy Wanyama in recent months.
In October 2012 Celtic boss Neil Lennon put a £25m price tag on Wanyama’s head to warn off prospective bidders following two dominant performances against Barcelona in the Champions League. It is unlikely a bid of that magnitude will come forth but if the Kenyan is to move south of the border then a fee in excess of £10m should satisfy the Scottish title winners.